are you in danger of a chimney fire?

Chimney fires are a serious hazard that can lead to devastating consequences, including the loss of property and, more importantly, lives. The incident reported in Kingsteignton on 3rd of Februray serves as a stark reminder of the dangers associated with unswept chimneys. This particular case underscores the importance of regular chimney maintenance and the role of professionals like ProSweep in preventing such fires.

house fire
Don’t risk a chimney fire

Why Chimney Fires Occur

Chimney fires can occur for several reasons, but the primary cause is the accumulation of creosote and soot inside the chimney. Creosote is a highly flammable substance that builds up on chimney walls when wood is burned incompletely. If the buildup becomes too thick, the heat from a fire can ignite the creosote, leading to a chimney fire.

The Importance of Regular Chimney Sweeping

Regular sweeping of chimneys removes creosote, soot, and other blockages, significantly reducing the risk of chimney fires. Professionals like ProSweep are trained to identify and mitigate risks, ensuring that chimneys are safe to use. The reminder from Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service to ensure chimneys and woodburners are regularly cleared of debris cannot be overstated.

The Role of Professionals

Professionals in the chimney sweep industry have the expertise to properly clean and inspect chimneys, offering advice on how to safely enjoy woodburners and other real flame appliances. Their role is crucial in preventing chimney fires and ensuring the safety of families.

Preventive Measures

  • Regular Inspections and Cleaning: Schedule annual inspections and cleanings of your chimney to remove blockages and buildup.
  • Use Seasoned Wood: Burning wood that is dry and seasoned reduces the amount of creosote that accumulates in your chimney.
  • Install a Chimney Cap: This can prevent debris and animals from blocking your chimney.
  • Follow Safe Burning Practices: Ensure that your fire gets enough air and avoid burning rubbish or other materials that could increase creosote buildup.


The recent chimney fire in Kingsteignton is a call to action for all homeowners with chimneys to prioritize regular maintenance. Engaging the services of a reputable, Professional chimney sweep like ProSweep can make all the difference in preventing fires. The safety of your home and family is paramount, and regular chimney maintenance is a key part of ensuring that safety. Don’t wait for a scare to take action; ensure your chimney is regularly swept and maintained.

Whilst you are at it now is the perfect time to book your chimney sweep, why wait till September? ProSweep Professional Chimney Sweep is approved by Devon Trading Standards Buy With Confidence offering a professional and personal chimney sweep & stove flue service in Newton Abbot, Torquay, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Bovey Tracey, Chagford and surrounding towns and villages. ProSweep your professional chimney sweep will always issue you a certificate of sweeping upon completion of our work. Phone today on 01626 832051 to book your appointment.