More chimney fires happen in the first three months of the year than the remaining 8 months!
Last year there were nearly 8000 Chimney Fires in England and 55% of these chimney fires occured during the Months of January, Feburary and March. Whilst many people do regulaly have their chimney sweep in autumn in readiness for the winter months – not forgetting the rush before Christmas, there is still that spike during the coldest months of winter.
If you have not had your chimney swept within the last 12 months then it is time you called you local chimney profesional to book a sweep before you have a chimney fire.
Here are some additional safety tips to prevent fireplace & chimney fires:
- Have your chimney swept by a professional insured chimney sweep at least once a year
- Burn seasoned logs (better still buy kiln dried logs) not green wood, to reduce creosote and combustion byproducts
- Do not burn plastic or use flammable fuels in the fireplace
- Use a sturdy fire guard to prevent sparks escaping on to carpets
- Keep the hearth and area clear of combustibles – do not store logs to dry out!
- Place a fire-retardant rug in front of the hearth
- Use proper ventilation
- Remove ashes when cooled and store in a metal container outside your house
- Don’t burn paper or rubbish
- Don’t overload the fire with fuel
- Occasionally go into the loft when the fire is lit and check for any smoke coming out of cracks, defective brickwork or mortar joints.
If you use your appliace as a main scource of heating and burn mainly wood you should have your chimney swept more than once a year, possibly every 3 months to prevent the build up of creosote and tars.
ProSweep Professional Chimney Sweep is approved by Devon Trading Standards Buy With Confidence offering a professional and personal chimney sweep & stove flue service in Newton Abbot, Torquay, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Bovey Tracey, Chagford and surrounding towns and villages.Including The Teign Valley .
Book ProSweep on 01626 832051 or 01803 464649